Over 50 PTA members from our Council attended WSPTA’s Legislative Assembly on October 24 and 25. The purpose of legislative assembly is to determine the legislative priorities of WSPTA, educating and mobilizing advocates, and advancing WSPTA’s legislative program.
Throughout October, delegates learned about and caucused on proposed legislative issues, principles and resolutions. Then over the assembly weekend delegates voted on eight new legislative issues, one new legislative principle, eight new resolutions and one amendment to an existing resolution.
Here are the Top 5 Legislative Priorities for 2020-2022:
- Increase Access to Nursing, Mental Health, and Social Emotional Learning Staff
- Support Students and Preserve Education Funding
- Increasing Educational Equity by Closing the Digital Divide
- Supports and Funding for Students with Disabilities and Their Families
- Prevent and Reduce Gun Violence and Suicide
Learn more on the Washington State PTA website.
Thank you to all of the delegates who shared their time to help support our kids and communities!