Learn about our legislative priorities and other supported issues and find out more ways to get involved. Our advocacy work is directed and powered by our members.
3 Easy Ways You Can Make a Difference:
- Become a PTA Member: by becoming a PTA member at your school, you add to the impact the PTA is already making on your behalf. Our WA State PTA team is already advocating in Olympia and will continue this work throughout the session. Your membership increases our numbers, which adds more weight to our advocacy efforts in the eyes of our legislators. Visit your school’s PTA website and join!
- Contact Your STATE Legislators as a PTA Member and Share Our WA State PTA Legislative Platform: by adding your voice to those PTA members already working on your behalf, you raise the volume of our requests and help make sure our legislators know these issues are truly a priority for ALL of us.
- Contact Your STATE Legislators as a Parent and Community Member to Share Your Own, Personal Concerns, Stories, and Opinions: while as PTA members we legally must share the official PTA stances and platform, as individual constituents we always have the right to speak our own opinions and add weight to the grassroots interest in these important topics.
Washington Legislative Priorities 2020-2021
The Washington State PTA legislative platform is a two-year platform to mirror the Washington state legislative cycle. On the even-numbered years, the new platform is voted on by members at the legislative assembly in the fall. The top five issues become our short-term platform and consist of our priority issues when advocating throughout the year. Other issues are placed on an “also supported” list. During the odd-numbered years, members vote to amend current issues or to add new, emerging issues to the also supported list.
- Top 5 Legislative Priorities for 2020-2021
- Increase Access to Nursing, Mental Health, and Social Emotional Learning Staff
- Support Students and Preserve Education Funding
- Increasing Educational Equity by Closing the Digital Divide
- Supports and Funding for Students with Disabilities and Their Families
- Prevent and Reduce Gun Violence and Suicide
- 2020-2021 WSPTA Supported Issues
- Equitable Identification and Services for Highly Capable Students
- Mitigating the Adverse Impacts of Climate Change
- Safe School Plans and Emergency Preparedness
- Join the WSPTA Action Network Group – Sign up to receive timely information and action alerts during the Washington State Legislative sessions.
- WSPTA Legislative Assembly – Attend this annual fall event to learn about the issues, how you can take action and network with other PTA leaders.
- WSPTA Focus Day – During each year’s legislative session, Washington State PTA holds an annual Focus Day to bring members together at the state capitol to advocate for the association’s legislative platform.
- Find State Legislators – Look up your Washington State Legislators and share what is important to you.
Advocacy News & Updates
- Washington Legislative Session Lunch & LearnJoin us for a State Legislative Session wrap up at our last Lunch and Learn of the year on May Continue reading Washington Legislative Session Lunch & Learn
- Recap: Creating Healthier Indoor Environments for Children to ThriveThanks to all who attended our April 21 panel presentation, “Creating Healthier Indoor Environments for Children to Thrive”! A huge Continue reading Recap: Creating Healthier Indoor Environments for Children to Thrive
- LWPTSA Council Anti-Racism StatementIn a racist society, it is not enough to be a non-racist, we must be anti-racist. AnGela Y. Davis We Continue reading LWPTSA Council Anti-Racism Statement
- Calling all Students – Come Together to Make an Earth Day VideoApril 22, 2021 Update – watch the final video here! April 22nd is Earth Day! It’s a reminder for us Continue reading Calling all Students – Come Together to Make an Earth Day Video
- Creating Healthier Indoor Environments for Children to ThriveWednesday, April 21 at 7PM Join our panel of experts to explore how our environment affects learning, behavior, and health. Continue reading Creating Healthier Indoor Environments for Children to Thrive