On December 2, we hosted a LGBTQ+ Panel discussion that included parents, district representatives and non-profit partners.
Here are resources shared during the panel discussion.
- PFLAG, pflagbellevue.org, for parents/family learning how to be supportive of their LGBTQ children (of any age) and parents/family/allies offering support and experiences.
- Youth Eastside Services LGBTQ+ support group for middle school students https://youtheastsideservices.org/MSBGLAD
- The King County Trans Resource Guide www.kctransguide.org
- Lambert House, lamberthouse.org, provides online social activities and support/referral for LGBTQ youth at risk (it’s based in Seattle but provides services statewide).
- Trans Families is a support group on the Eastside and serves trans and gender-diverse children and all those who touch their lives. https://transfamilies.org
- The Trevor Project – A national 24-hour, toll free confidential suicide hotline for LGBTQ youth. www.thetrevorproject.org
- Gender Spectrum works to create gender sensitive and inclusive environments for all children and teens www.GenderSpectrum.org (California-based but tons of good information)
General Youth Mental Health Supports
- CHANGES Parents Support Network fosters healthy families by equipping parents with tools and support to change their behavior. https://cpsn.org/
- Youth Eastside Services, youtheastsideservices.org, provides counseling and online social activities for youth.
- Lake Washington Schools Foundation Balance in Mind, Balance in Mind (lwsf.org), works with community partners to raise awareness about emotional and mental health challenges facing our youth; empowers parents, and builds communities where kids grow up healthy, resilient and equipped for life. BiM offers twice a month Wednesday evening Parent Chats in a safe and supportive environment with mental health professionals and other parents on a variety of subjects impacting youth.
- Youth Eastside Services / Balance in Mind Weekly Teen and Parent Virtual Chats These events are presented in partnership with the Lake Washington School’s Foundation Balance in Mind (BiM).
- Real Talk (For teens) Join Balance in Mind and a YES counselor every 1st and 3rd Tuesday of the month at 4:30 p.m. on Instagram @balance.in.mind as we discuss mental health during COVID-19.
- Balance in Mind Parent Chat (For parents/caregivers) Every Wednesday at 7:30 p.m. join other parents, YES counselors and Sheri Gazitt to discuss parenting and self-care during COVID-19. Register at http://tinyurl.com/BiMParentChat
- EvergreenHealth has a partnership with LWSD to employ social workers at each of its four high schools: Eastlake, Juanita, Lake Washington, and Redmond. For a list of social workers stationed at LWSD high schools, including student and parent support groups, go to: https://www.evergreenhealth.com/lwsd-partnership
Feel free to share with your parent community! We are here to support ALL parents and students.
Got questions about parent education programs? Email Co-chairs Irene and Hae Sue at email@example.com