Reflections is a National PTA arts in education program. The program was started in 1969 and is the largest arts in education program of its kind in the United States. Students have the opportunity to use their creative talents by expressing themselves through their own original works created around a theme.
Reflections Dates and Deadlines
- Kick Off Meeting – Monday, September 18, 2017; from 7:00pm – 8:30pm; LWRC/Board Room
- Online Registration of Winning Entries from Local Units – Friday, November 17, 2017 by 11:59pm
- Entry Turn In Day at Council – Monday, November 20, 2017; from 9am – 2:00pm; LWRC/Board Room
- Reflections Art Show and Open House – Friday, January 5, 2018 at the LWRC. 4:00pm to 8:00pm. Open to the Public.
2017-18 Rules and Forms currently not available on the Washington State PTA Reflections website. (Please do not use Rules and Forms from the National PTA website.) Rules and Forms will be coming soon! And additional resources!
Four Rounds of Competition
Five Grade Divisions
- Primary (Preschool – Grade 2)
- Intermediate (Grades 3 – 5)
- Middle/Junior (Grades 6 – 8)
- Senior (Grades 9 – 12)
- Special Artist (All grades) Click here to read about the Special Artist Division.
Participation in Reflections is organized by student grade levels. Student works are critiqued against others in the same grade division.
Six Art Categories
- Dance Choreography. Ballet, contemporary, ethnic and folk, hip hop, jazz and tap. Entrant must be the choreographer and may be the performer, or one of the performers, but does not have to be.
- Film Production. Accepted forms include: Animation, narrative, documentary, experimental, or a media presentation (PowerPoint is prohibited). Entrant must be the director, screenwriter, and camera person including all story boarding and editing.
- Literature. Accepted forms of fiction and nonfiction include: Prose, poetry, drama (screen play and play script), reflective essay, narrative, and short story.
- Music Composition. All instruments, sounds, styles and combinations are accepted. Copyrighted material is prohibited. The composer may be the performer, or one of the performers, but does not have to be. Notation, score or tablature required for middle and high school division. **Music videos are not accepted**
- Photography. Accepted forms of photography include: A single photo; a variety of digital editing techniques such as multiple exposure, negative sandwich or photogram. Original black-and-white and color images are accepted. Entrant must be the one to take the photograph. NEW: Print image may not be smaller than 3″ x 5″ and no larger than 8″ x 10″. Print should be mounted on mat or poster board no larger than 11″ x 14″.
- Visual Arts. Accepted forms include: Collages, photographic collages (multiple photos cut/pasted), computer-generated image, drawing, painting and printmaking. No wood, metal, plastic, glass or framed canvas. Entries should be mounted on foam core, sturdy cardboard, mat board or other rigid materials. NEW: Entry may not exceed 24″ x 30″ and 1/2″ thickness, including matting/mounting material.
Judging and Recognition
Entries are judged largely on interpretation of the theme, but creativity and skill are also considered. Judges are typically community volunteers who are experienced in the art categories they are judging. Entries are first judged at the local level and selected works are chosen to represent the PTA at each subsequent level. PTA’s recognize students at each level of competition. At the National level, prizes for top award winners include cash and an expense-paid trip to the awards ceremony at the National PTA convention. Click HERE for more information.
All PTSAs in good standing may sponsor the Reflections Program. Students may only submit entries through a PTA. If a PTA is a member of a council, they will send the chosen entries to the council program according to the guidelines established by their council. If a PTA is not a member of a council, they will submit their entries directly to Washington State PTA.
Reflections Forms & Guide
The Reflections Guide, rules, and all the necessary forms are located on the Washington State PTA Reflections web page.
Only official entry forms for Washington State are accepted. Local PTAs should pre-fill the PTA information section before distributing the form to students.