2020-2021 Parent Education Co-Chairs: Irene Neumann and Hae Sue Park
We work with our local PTSAs to support parent education at the school level. Our goals include:
- Award grants to support parent education programs for our local PTSAs
- Work with Lake Washington School district to provide education programs open to all across the district
- Provide resources and support to our PTSA members to help facilitate parent education at the local level
- Provides Assembly grants to local PTAs for arranging student assemblies at schools to support student enrichment.
Got an idea for a great speaker, workshop or community outreach event? Need help finding a speaker or just new and want to brainstorm? We’d love to hear from you! Contact Parent Education Chair at Parent.Ed@lwptsa.net.
Parent Education Grants
The LWPTSA Council has made available two grant opportunities to local PTSAs for the 2020-2021 school year.
- Parent Education Grant (up to $500) – download application (fillable Word format)
- School Assemblies Grant (up to $250) – download application and details.
Please note that for both grants you must apply a minimum of 45 days in advance of your event.
For questions, please contact Council’s Parent Education Chairs at Parent.Ed@lwptsa.net.
Parent Education Articles & Updates
- School Transitions Tool Kit Opportunity
- Self-Care Series
- Parent Ed Recap: LGBTQ+ Panel
- Parent Ed Recap: Understanding Youth Substance Use
- Safety & Emergency Preparedness Webinars
- From Awareness to Action: Understanding Youth Substance Use
- Parent Ed: LGBTQ+ Panel
Parent Education Events
- February 18, 2021 – Unconscious Bias and how it impacts our lives
- March 18, 2021 – Community Support Services Roundtable
- April 15, 2021 – Parent Transitions
- May 20, 2021 – Legislative Session Wrap Up
Self-Care Session 2: Self-Care for Success (access, plan and manifest)
Please join on your computer via: Link to come
For questions, contact Hae Sue Park and Irene Neumann, Parent Ed Chairs, at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Join the Special Education Group for their monthly meeting on the 3rd Tuesday of the month.
- Parent networking starts at 6:30pm
- Meeting and presentations start at 7:00pm
For questions please contact Council’s Special Education Chairs at email@example.com
Resources for Your Community
- Family & Community Engagement – from the U.S. Department of Education – a framework for schools, teachers and families to build and support family engagement
- Washington State Family and Community Engagement Trust – a non-profit dedicated to building the capacity of schools, families and communities to work together for the education and well-being of children and youth.
- Office of the Education Ombuds (OEO) – OEO promotes equity in education by working with families and schools to remove barriers so that every student can fully participate in and benefit from public education in the State of Washington.
- Notes from the Backpack – Podcast from the National PTA for parents with answers questions about homework, bullying, school discipline, the transition to middle school and more.
- ParentMap – provides trusted, innovative, and award-winning editorial content through a variety of media to support parents in their most essential role: that of their child’s first and most important teacher.
- Friends of Youth providing shelter and resources to homeless teens
- Youth Eastside Services (YES) – one of the largest providers of youth and family counseling and substance abuse services in the Puget Sound.
- Safe Kids Worldwide – interactive tool to keep your home safe and prevent injuries in your own home!
- All Pro Dad – a group of people passionately committed to bringing intentional focus to fathers around the world. Provides guidance and practical tips in raising your kids in a life giving way.