2020-2021 Parent Education Co-Chairs: Irene Neumann and Hae Sue Park
We work with our local PTSAs to support parent education at the school level. Our goals include:
- Award grants to support parent education programs for our local PTSAs
- Work with Lake Washington School district to provide education programs open to all across the district
- Provide resources and support to our PTSA members to help facilitate parent education at the local level
- Provides Assembly grants to local PTAs for arranging student assemblies at schools to support student enrichment.
Got an idea for a great speaker, workshop or community outreach event? Need help finding a speaker or just new and want to brainstorm? We’d love to hear from you! Contact Parent Education Chair at Parent.Ed@lwptsa.net.
Parent Education Grants
The LWPTSA Council has made available two grant opportunities to local PTSAs for the 2020-2021 school year.
- Parent Education Grant (up to $500) – download application (fillable Word format)
- School Assemblies Grant (up to $250) – download application and details.
Please note that for both grants you must apply a minimum of 45 days in advance of your event.
For questions, please contact Council’s Parent Education Chairs at Parent.Ed@lwptsa.net.
Parent Education Articles & Updates
- Boosting a Child’s Brain Part 1 Summary
- Family Resources for Talking about Race & Social Justice
- Wednesday Wellness
- Great Outdoors Self-Care Series Summary
- Creating Healthier Indoor Environments for Children to Thrive
- Legacy of Resilience: A Holocaust Story
- Suicide Awareness and Prevention Talk
Parent Education Events
- Register at:
LWPTSA Council is hosting a Wednesday Wellness series this spring for Lake Washington School District families. All are invited to join for a free virtual fitness class on Wednesdays at 6PM. Participants will be entered into a drawing for three $15 gift cards.
- What: Strengthening Workout with Jen Allen
- Register at: tinyurl.com/WednesdayWellnessApril14
- Flyer: download and share
Please send questions to VP of Community and Family Engagement at firstname.lastname@example.org
Lunch and Learns are short presentations and discussions on topics of interest to all community members, from noon – 1 pm on select Thursdays open to all community members. Bring your lunch and join us!
Register for the meeting link at tinyurl.com/4undnht5
- April 15, 2021 – Helping Families Navigate School Transitions
- May 20, 2021 – Legislative Session Wrap Up
Contact Yumna A. Green, LWPTSA Executive Vice President, EVP@lwptsa.net.
Resources for Your Community
- Family & Community Engagement – from the U.S. Department of Education – a framework for schools, teachers and families to build and support family engagement
- Washington State Family and Community Engagement Trust – a non-profit dedicated to building the capacity of schools, families and communities to work together for the education and well-being of children and youth.
- Office of the Education Ombuds (OEO) – OEO promotes equity in education by working with families and schools to remove barriers so that every student can fully participate in and benefit from public education in the State of Washington.
- Notes from the Backpack – Podcast from the National PTA for parents with answers questions about homework, bullying, school discipline, the transition to middle school and more.
- ParentMap – provides trusted, innovative, and award-winning editorial content through a variety of media to support parents in their most essential role: that of their child’s first and most important teacher.
- Friends of Youth providing shelter and resources to homeless teens
- Youth Eastside Services (YES) – one of the largest providers of youth and family counseling and substance abuse services in the Puget Sound.
- Safe Kids Worldwide – interactive tool to keep your home safe and prevent injuries in your own home!
- All Pro Dad – a group of people passionately committed to bringing intentional focus to fathers around the world. Provides guidance and practical tips in raising your kids in a life giving way.