We work with our local PTSAs to support parent education at the school level. Our goals include:
- Award grants to support parent education programs for our local PTSAs
- Work with Lake Washington School district to provide education programs open to all across the district
- Provide resources and support to our PTSA members to help facilitate parent education at the local level
- Provides Assembly grants to local PTAs for arranging student assemblies at schools to support student enrichment.
Got an idea for a great speaker, workshop or community outreach event? Need help finding a speaker or just new and want to brainstorm? We’d love to hear from you! Contact Parent Education Chair Irene Neumann at Parent.Ed@lwptsa.net.
Parent Education Grants
The LWPTSA Council has made available two grant opportunities to local PTSAs for the 2019-2020 school year.
- Parent Education Grant (up to $500) – download application and details.
- School Assemblies Grant (up to $250) – download application and details.
Please note that for both grants you must apply a minimum of 45 days in advance of your event.
For questions, please contact Parent Education Chair Irene Neumann.
Parent Education Events
Join LWPTSA for a Parent Education presentation by Anne Holmdahl.
There are two dates:
— Friday, November 15 at 6pm
— Tuesday, November 19 at Noon
Location: Lake Washington Resource Center Board Room
For questions, contact LWPTSA Parent Ed Chair Irene Neumann at firstname.lastname@example.org
Speaker and Parent Education Resources
Interested in a free speaker on teen mental health needs? Our friends at the National Alliance on Mental Illness Eastside (NAMI) offer this FREE presentation to schools in our area: “NAMI Ending the Silence designed to teach middle and high school students about the signs and symptoms of mental illness, how to recognize the early warning signs and the importance of acknowledging those warning signs.” Contact us at Parent.Ed@lwptsa.net to learn more and schedule this presentation at your middle or high school.
NEW – DVD Library Now Available – “The Mask You Live In” is an award-winning documentary that chronicles the challenges of boys and young men as they grow up trying to navigate popular notions of masculinity while also remaining true to themselves. Our PTSA Council purchased the rights to the video and curriculum for this series, and they are available for use at a limited number of public showings at our schools. The curriculum and video clips are tailored for age-specific and age- appropriate audiences. It’s recommended that a school counselor or similar professional facilitate presentation. To learn more, contact Council Parent Education Chair for help: Parent.Ed@lwptsa.net.
Resources for Your Community
- Family & Community Engagement – from the U.S. Department of Education – a framework for schools, teachers and families to build and support family engagement
- Washington State Family and Community Engagement Trust – a non-profit dedicated to building the capacity of schools, families and communities to work together for the education and well-being of children and youth.
- Office of the Education Ombuds (OEO) – OEO promotes equity in education by working with families and schools to remove barriers so that every student can fully participate in and benefit from public education in the State of Washington.
- Notes from the Backpack – Podcast from the National PTA for parents with answers questions about homework, bullying, school discipline, the transition to middle school and more.
- ParentMap – provides trusted, innovative, and award-winning editorial content through a variety of media to support parents in their most essential role: that of their child’s first and most important teacher.
- Friends of Youth providing shelter and resources to homeless teens
- Youth Eastside Services (YES) – one of the largest providers of youth and family counseling and substance abuse services in the Puget Sound.
- Safe Kids Worldwide – interactive tool to keep your home safe and prevent injuries in your own home!
- All Pro Dad – a group of people passionately committed to bringing intentional focus to fathers around the world. Provides guidance and practical tips in raising your kids in a life giving way.