Family and Community Engagement (FACE) is the cornerstone of any successful PTA. Reaching out to students and families to provide support, services and community is the best way to maintain a healthy PTA membership and to ensure that every child has a voice in your school. Some important questions to talk about as a board are:
- Who is present at your school?
- Who is participating in PTA, and who is not?
- How does your PTA reach out to include those people who are not currently “at the table”?
- How do your parents know what you are providing to them?
- Do your families know that PTA exists at your school?
- How do you make your PTA visible on your campus?
- Are teacher and staff valued, respected partners?
Consider having an Family and Community Engagement (FACE) Chair or Vice President whose role is to make sure that these questions are answered in action.
Lake Washington PTA Council’s mission is to provide support to all PTAs in the Lake Washington School District (LWSD) to help them achieve their goals. FACE is a component of everything we do.
Got questions? Contact the VP of Family and Community Engagement at email@example.com
- September Special Education Group Meeting
- Reflections 2020 Kick Off
- New & International Families 2020 Welcome Events
- New Chair of Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion
- Back to School – Special Education Edition
Learn more how LWPTSA supports parent education programing and community outreach.
The Special Education Group (formerly Special Needs Group) is made up of LWSD community members whose students receive special services (IEPs) and accommodations (504s).
The Lake Washington School District is made up of students and families from many different cultures. In recognition of this the LWPTSA Council in partnership with LWSD hosts a New and International Families Welcome event each year. Check the calendar and announcements for details.
The district recently teamed up with the LWPTSA Council to create an International Families Welcome – World Video so that we can learn from the unique perspectives of our parents in how they and their children view the school experience. This sharing of information helps to inform our school district as to needs of the growing international community. Finally, international families new to the district can learn from these parents about what to expect from Lake Washington schools and how to get involved.
Family and Community Engagement Resources
Lake Washington PTSA Council has created a community outreach resource center for use by our schools administrators and PTSAs to provide information and connections for families in need of the various local, state and federal services available.