Mission: To serve as a relevant resource to the local PTAs, families and community members within the Lake Washington School District through training, support, and guidance, and to advocate for the health, well-being, and education of every child.
Goals & Objectives:
Communicate with local PTAs, Washington State PTA, and National PTA.
- Update website within 3 days of requests.
- Create and maintain position-specific mailing lists in Constant Contact.
- Send out position-specific announcements (such as membership, reflections, E-prep chairs), as appropriate.
- Publish at least 5 newsletters (“CURRENTS”) during the months of September-June.
- Publish weekly eblast (“Weekly Waves”) each Monday morning.
- Maintain an active Facebook page with four or more posts per week.
- Conduct efficient, meaningful, and informative membership meetings, including relevant best practice information at every meeting; limit total meeting time to 1.5 hours for eight or more meetings per year.
- Provide scheduled time at membership meetings to share information from the Lake Washington School District and from our partners and other community nonprofit organizations whose aim and mission tie in directly with Council’s, as agreed to by our board.
- Send out meeting reminders, announcements and documents in Weekly Waves. Meeting information will be prominently displayed in Weekly Waves for accessibility.
- Provide structured networking time at 3 or more membership meetings and unstructured networking time in conjunction with our membership meetings.
- Provide a social network platform for our PTAs to communicate with each other by Spring 2018.
- Disseminate information about and registration materials for state regional training opportunities by posting to the website and sending information directly to local PTAs via email, membership meetings, monthly CURRENTS newsletter, and weekly eblast.
- Offer at least 10 additional workshops, roundtables, or training opportunities to local PTA leaders.
- Contact local PTA leaders who have not had representation at Council meetings for 2 months in a row.
- Offer at least one networking opportunity outside Council meetings for each group of local PTA leaders under each of the Area Vice-Presidents.
- Provide resources on the website, such as sample Committee Plan of Action forms, Conflict of Interest forms, etc.
- Have all Lake Washington Council officers trained by January 1.
- Ensure that at least 2 Lake Washington Council officers have attended PTA and the Law by October 31.
- Include funding (budget line items) for training, Legislative Assembly, Focus Day, WA State PTA convention, and Leadership Conference in the budget.
- Have 70% of Lake Washington Council Board present at each membership meeting.
Engage Family and Community
- Engage with local PTAs to share ideas and best practices through currents and weekly waves, website posting, social media, (at least 2-4 times/month) and informal discussions to develop and strengthen community outreach within our local PTA members, leaders and parents across the district.
- Work with Area-VPs (1-2 times a month) to exchange ideas and gather insight into local community interests and needs and better inform direction of Council family engagement efforts.
- Collaborate with the District through email, phone calls and informal meetings to share ideas about how council and district can strengthen family engagement and increase parent awareness about school district affairs. (4-6 times/year).
- Advertise and provide updates on events, speakers, and issues through website, social media and emails. (Once a week)
- Increase parent and family engagement in local learning communities by collaborating with district-identified school administrators, teachers, and local PTA leaders as well as Parent Education Chair/s by conducting localized parent education events (4-6 times a year) and also plan one or more other larger community events.
- Reach out to and identify opportunities to collaborate with non-profits and other groups that support children in our community (like LWSF) at least 2-4 times a year.
- Ensure at least 1 Council board member is present at all school board meetings.
- Create a volunteer list to help for volunteer needs for Council by September 30.
Advocate for the whole child across our communities by providing opportunities for and education around advocacy at all levels of administration and government. Facilitate active participation in the legislative process.
- Encourage attendance at Legislative Assembly.
- Educate members about the advocacy process, issues relevant to children, and advocacy opportunities. This can be achieved through Membership Meeting advocacy reports (7+); other in-person advocacy opportunities (e.g. Brown Bag lunches, Advocacy Coffee Chats), and ad hoc committees (3+); and other Council communications (e.g. e-blasts, emails, Facebook).
- Work with local PTAs to help them strengthen advocacy within their local community by helping them better understand advocacy and advocacy opportunities at all levels (school board, city Council, state legislation). Visit/present at local PTA meetings and support local PTA advocacy events and efforts as needed.
- Encourage and facilitate members to submit issues and/or resolutions for WSPTA legislative platform as interest allows.
- Facilitate relationship development with state legislators, school board members, and other community leaders involved in education policy by providing community forums, coffees, town halls, or other networking and communication (e.g. postcard campaign) opportunities. 2+ per year.
- Support bond and levy election efforts in coordination with the LWSD and the Bond and Levy Committee. Send out bond communications to local PTSAs, encourage participation in events (i.e. flag waving), and offer bond education and spokespeople as needed.
Support children and PTAs through Programs and Resources
- Reflections: Train and coach local Reflections chairs to run a local Reflections program so that they have quality entries to feed into the Council round of competition.
- Reflections: Offer ongoing support to the local reflections chairs by setting up an online group and group email to allow sharing documents and information, and give chairs a forum to ask questions of the Council committee and of other chairs.
- Reflections: generate interest and excitement about the program with articles for Currents, and LWPTSA Council Facebook posts 2+ per month
- Publicize and promote the WA State PTA//Games Competition, and Men’s Essay Competition.
- Scholarships: Continue to encourage more student applications by increasing marketing to high school PTAs, and meeting with the High School Counselors.
- Awards: Increase number of state and Council award nominations by increasing marketing of process to include weekly newsletter/eblast, membership meeting, Currents, and Facebook.
- Standards of Excellence Award: Apply for Standards of Excellence award for our council, and encourage and support our PTAs in their efforts to apply.
- Survey our membership after major events and at the end of the year and incorporate feedback from our members to inform our decisions and direction on programs.
- Maintain the LWPTSA policy document containing all updated LWPTSA Council Policy
- Maintain job descriptions for every elected position and standing chair for LWPTSA Council by end 2017.
- Support and promote the Council Emergency Prep Committee and ensure that they attend at least 1 Council board, and Membership Meeting.
- Support and promote the Council Special Needs Committee and ensure that they attend at least 1 Council board, and Membership Meeting.
Retain, promote and increase membership
- Increase number of district members to 16,500.
- Provide ongoing membership tips, ideas and solutions through position specific Constant Contact messages (6+), membership meetings (7+), Currents newsletters (8+), Facebook posts (2+/month), Weekly Waves (weekly).
- Create at least one networking opportunity per year.
- Make available software training as needed.
- Acknowledge and applaud success of schools that reach their membership goals through membership meeting reports, Weekly Waves, Currents, Facebook posts and the LWPTSA Council website.
Mission and Goals
Approved – 10/5/2017